Purple4Polio Rotary Grand Tour
Register now for Rotary’s new drive to end polio.
The Purple4Polio Rotary Grand Tour is hitting the highways in May and is looking for drivers, and their teams, to take part. Members of the public, Rotarians, friends and families in vehicles of all shapes and sizes can register now for an adventure around Britain.
All are welcome to join this exciting and inspiring road trip from 21st – 24th May 2018, visiting as many of the Rotary check and photo points as is safely possible and raising money for the End Polio Now campaign.
Entering is easy: You organise your team, car and route, then decide where you want to stay whilst raising as much sponsorship as possible. To help you on your way, Rotary across the country is setting up a few check and photo points at places of interest where you can have a break, get your logbook stamped as proof of passage or take a selfie near a landmark. You will have the opportunity to meet other travellers. You can drive as near or as far as you wish and there is no requirement to drive for all four days. When you have completed your epic journey, join us at the finish line for an end-of-tour party in Yorkshire on the 24th May (optional).
The map below shows the currently known check and photo points, including the Brands Hatch Circuit, Beamish Museum and Haynes International Motor Museum, with more to come. Click on a location to find out more.
When you have fully registered, we will email you a sponsor form. We will also send you two large vinyl car stickers and a log book (after 27th April). The stickers will show the world that you are part of the Purple4Polio Rotary Grand Tour and help you spot other teams when you’re on tour.
Of course, you may want to wear purple End Polio Now clothing which is available from the End Polio Now Guernsey Shop. You can download the Rotary Grand Tour Logo Set for t-shirt and merchandise printing.
This is not a competition and entrants will not be timed. The only race involved is the one to eradicate polio quickly. Your help is crucial as funds raised are going to End Polio Now via The Rotary Foundation UK.
Please watch this short video starring our very own RIBI President to find out more…
What to do next
1. Read and understand the rules which are below the registration button.
2. Create your team, plan your route and find transport. A bargain banger or your prized classic which needs a good run, it can be anything as long as it is suitable for the journey and is taxed, MOT’d, roadworthy and correctly insured.
3. Register using the form below. The fee of £35 per car is non-refundable, regardless of circumstances. You must email a valid insurance certificate for the dates of the tour to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words ‘GT Insurance’ and your vehicle licence plate number in the subject box.
4. Gather sponsorship. There are hints and tips in this short video by Rotary member and rally veteran Irene Russell.
5. Turn the key in the ignition on the 21st of May and set off from your home for a drive around the country and then pull up in Yorkshire on the 24th of May for the end of tour celebration.
Alternatively, you can help from afar by helping at the Rotary rest points or by making a donation to The Rotary Foundation UK for the End Polio Now campaign.
We would love to hear about your expedition so please share your stories via Twitter and Facebook with hashtag #rotarygrandtour when it is safe to do so.
We know that not everyone will have their transport sorted just yet, although it is easier to fill out this form if you do. This registration offers the option of taking all details now or coming back later when you have your vehicle and other essentials such as tax, insurance certificates and MOT. You will be sent a link for your registration form in March 2018 which will allow further access.
Before proceeding please ensure you have:
1. Your payment details. Please note: the registration £35 fee is non-refundable, regardless of circumstances.
2. If you have it, the valid insurance certificate for the vehicle being used which covers the dates of the event and the names of the drivers. This must be emailed to email@example.com with the words ‘GT Insurance’ and your vehicle licence plate number in the subject box.
3. The names of your passengers.
This event is intended to be a high profile celebration of Rotary and the good things we stand for. In organising this event we ask that all participants understand that this is not a race and that their conduct on the road must be compliant with Road Traffic Laws and safe. This is not a timed event and it is not about coming first.
By applying to enter this event all teams and individual participants agree that they are entirely responsible for their own actions and the condition of the vehicles they drive or are carried in. Expenses howsoever incurred on the rally are the sole responsibility of the participants.
By entering the rally, participants agree that Rotary in Great Britain and Ireland (RIBI) carry no liability for any loss, damage or injury to participants or third parties howsoever caused.
Entry to the rally shall constitute a waiver by a participant of any rights of action against the organisers, RIBI, members of management committees and associated organisers and their representatives (including general RIBI members) for loss, consequential loss, damage or injuries howsoever arising.
All people intending to drive must hold a full UK driving licence or a full Irish driving licence and not be disqualified from driving. All drivers must be fit to drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got a question? Try these Purple4Polio Rotary Grand Tour FAQs.
Please contact the Purple4Polio Rotary Grand Tour team with your query.