Rotary News

Rocket man roars into town for prestigious Rotary lecture

Rocket man roars into town for prestigious Rotary lecture

Richard Noble has held the world land speed record as director of the Bloodhound project, and he spoke about the achievement at a Rotary-organised lecture in Surrey.

He is a famous former world land speed record holder, and director of The Bloodhound Project which developed a unique high-tech supersonic vehicle designed to reach speeds in excess of 1,000 mph.

Richard Noble OBE was in sizzling form when he told the story of The Bloodhound Project at a special lecture organised by Rotary Woking District.

More than 300 people packed into the HG Wells Conference and Event Centre in the Surrey town as Richard delivered the lecture: Bloodhound SSC – the mission to break the land speed record.

The audience listened intently as Richard spoke eloquently and enthusiastically about the project – a vehicle with no tyres, a Jaguar engine coupled to a Rolls-Royce jet engine and a rocket system to propel this vehicle to a new world record.

 

 

He went on to describe the aerodynamics and the difficulties in engineering the means of propulsion.

Richard said the project is driven by a strong team spirit, and this was shown during the quest for a driver.

RAF pilot Andy Green was chosen not just for his exceptional ability and nerves of steel, but because Andy regarded the team as equals.

Richard expressed a passionate determination to engage the younger generation in engineering and Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM), which closely matches the club’s drive to encourage young people to achieve their potential.

The project is driven by strong team spirit.”

The club supports two projects, the GASP Motor Project and the educational charity and social enterprise SATRO, which teaches life-changing and practical skills to young people who might otherwise fall by the wayside.

Woking District Rotary was formed in 1976 and this was the third of a popular lecture series which it has hosted. Since its inception the club has raised over ÂŁ400,000.

Approximately 75% of the funds raised are distributed to organisations and charities in the Woking area. The remaining 25% has been used to fund charitable projects abroad including End Polio Now.

All proceeds from its annual Woking Fireworks Extravaganza are distributed to carefully selected charities.

Inspire the next generation to fulfil their potential by getting involved with Rotary.

Get involved